Every email campaign you send out generates heaps of actionable data you can use to refine your approach and further messages.
Below are a few simple tips to help you on your way.
The first thing you are going to need is a list of email addresses to send your email too, in my opinion collecting them from a sign up form on your website is the best way to go about this, although you can buy lists but i would never recommend it. After you have built your email list you are ready to start sending out emails.
The main things that need consideration are email subject, content, time to send it and email layout.
- Good example – [COMPANYNAME] Newsletter – March 20?? – open rate 60% to 87%
- Bad example – [COMPANYNAME] Holiday Sales Event – open rate 1% to 14%
- Try to link the content back to your website, as this will hopefully get people clicking the links and drive traffic to your site, which all helps with the google rankings.
- Short and sweet is better than long and drawn out.
- Be professional and polite. Don’t use emoticons or Internet slang like lol or omg.
Time to Send
- Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Avoid Weekends, Mondays and Fridays.
- Research and Tests have shown that either 6am or 12pm are the optimal send times, as people are more likely to check emails before work or lunch time.
- Keep the design simple
- Avoid large images
- Don’t forget you contact details
- Include link to web version
- Always include unsubscribe link
- Test email before you send it